Boredom is an opportunity, not a lifestyle. Fools? Bertinelli's 7th book is vague, yet in-depth. If we replace judgement with curiosity our prospectives change. The barrage of information and disinformation on social media these days plays it part in our minds and weaves its way into our insecurities, doutes and egos.
Amazing to me that Valerie Bertinelli never thought of herself as being a hottie. She was the sole reason I watched "One Day At a Time," in the 1970s. In "Getting Naked..." she covers a vast array of topics including her two marriages and the lame realities of legal fees for divorce proceedings. She eloquently described her second divorce as a cesspool of legalese. She also talks about her love of cats and dogs and running in the Boston Marathon days before she turned 50.
The bevy of information lacks many details, yet slyly depicts her first marriage to Eddie Van Halen and their son Wolfgang. She refers to her son as Wolfie and her late rock 'n' roller first husband as Ed.
This book isn't just an autobiography, it's a therapy book. This March novel has taught me some valuable cooping mechanisms, hopefully I adhere to many of her tips when my mind gets in its political rage which is daily these days.
She's been sober for more than two years, her dry January turned to dry February, March...December and beyond. Finally as a non practicing alcoholic, I know the ills of excessive booze consumption she talks about, and I don't miss it!
Valerie got breast implants more than 30 years ago. Even with her amazing allure she got caught up in societies insane expectations of ourselves. She's right, we're trained to look for our flaws, then repair, cover up and rejuvenate. She was still married to Ed at the time of her implants and he was dumbfounded and simply said to her, why? Fast forward to the now, she's had her implants recently removed and her recovery wasn't pleasant, but she's OK now.
She's 64-years-old and said she wants to be the best most authentic version of herself entering the last chapter of her life. I'm only two years younger, so I assume I'm on the last chapter of my life too, and she's right, friends are medicine that goes straight to the heart even though I profess to being a happy hermit.
She details her klutz moves, hence the cut on her right arm, she did to herself accidently. She's human, wants to give love and to be loved, but like myself, she enjoys being alone.
Three and a half stars easy for this book.
Mark Izzy Schurr



No comments:
Post a Comment