Tuesday, December 26, 2023

A 1990s Modern Moron Movie Review

Herion's dark slumbers fuel its infested minds, and you can't stop dreams, they move in crazy pieces. (Jim Carroll)

It was a dream, not a nightmare, a beautiful dream I could never imagine in a thousand nods. I saw this girl next to me who wasn't beautiful until she smiled, and I felt that smile come at me in heatwaves... soaking through my body and out my fingertips like shafts of color and I knew somewhere in the world, there was love for me. The poetry in the movie is from Carroll's 1993 book, "Fear of Dreaming."

"Basketball Daries" is laden with delicious deceits and dialogue. This 1990 movie was inspired by a book, written by Carroll when he was 17-year-old.

This isn't a typical drugs are bad for you flick, it's a story birthed on poetry in which the author details his time on the streets of New York as a homeless child slamming dope while playing high school basketball for a championship caliber team, if not the U.S. champions in the 1960s, I honestly cannot remember. Regardless, Carroll was a gifted basketball player. 

"People Who Died," a featured song was written and performed by the Jim Carroll Band. and it has that 1970s rock 'n' roll punch.  

Mark Wahlberg is great as Mickey, teammate and friend to Jim, marvelously portrayed by Leonardo Dicaprio. The all-star cast also features Juliette Lewis, Bruno Kirby, Lorraine Bracco, twins Cynthia and Brittany Daniel. Michael Rapaport and Ernie Hudson. 

...in the end, using junk is just another nine to five gig, the hours are just more inclined to shadows. (Jim Carroll)

A solid four and a half star rating for "Basketball Diaries."

Mark Izzy Schurr 
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment